Popular Courses/PR leading Courses/Study to migrate

Commercial Cookery

Brief Description and overview of Cookery courses in Australia

If you love cooking a variety of food, you may like to consider a career in the hospitality industry as a cook or a chef. Many international students come to Australia to study Commercial Cookery because of the top-quality training and variety of café and restaurants where you can work after your studies. Just like the population, Australia's hospitality scene is also very multicultural.

The Australian Government’s joboutlook.gov.au website shows a solid future growth prospect for the occupation of chefs and cooks. It also shows that the Chefs, on average, earn $1250 a week (2021). Due to the strong demands of chefs and cooks, there is a very high chance of getting permanent residency (PR) through an Independent subclass, state sponsor or even sponsored by an employer.  

Vocational Cookery courses in Australia:

  • Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
  • Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
  • Certificate III in Patisserie
  • Certificate IV in Patisserie
  • Diploma of Hospitality
  • Advance Diploma of Hospitality Management 
  • The above courses are between 6-24 months long.
  • Most of the hospitality qualifications have work placement as part of the study program, which gives you valuable work experience in Australia.
  • You may qualify for a 485 Visa after completing some of the above courses. (Check the entry requirement).
  • The typical starting Salary for Chef is $1250 per week (2021).
  • Further studies in a Bachelor degree in a related course is also possible.

Entry requirements for International students:

  • Minimum completion of Australian year 12 or equivalent
  • Academic IELTS 5.5 with 5.5 Across all bands or equivalents.

(For more information, check the individual institution website or contact us)

Job-ready program and skill assessments for Chef and Cook

  • Apply for Provisional Skills Assessment (PSA). This is the first step for Job Ready Program (JRP).
  • Successful PSA can be used to apply for a 485 Visa (make sure your occupation is listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL))
  • Find Job-ready employment and complete at least 1725 hours of paid work over a minimum of 12 months from your job ready employment start date.
  • Job-ready workplace assessment is the next stage of the process after a minimum of six months of work.
  • The final stage is the Job Ready Final Assessment. Once your Job Ready Final Assessment is completed, you will get a confirmation letter from Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) confirming your successful skills assessment in your occupation.

What are the PR options/Pathways Commercial Cookery graduates?

  • Completing your studies.
  • Getting your skilled assessed by TRA (Check above).
  • Lodge your Expression of Interest (You must meet the minimum points requirement).
  • You may be invited to apply for Permanent Residency.

Different type of Migration Visa options for Cooks and Chefs

Due to the massive demand for hospitality workers, there are many PR pathway for qualified cooks and chefs. Furthermore, the Australian Government's initiative to encourage skilled workers to move to regional areas to fill the skill shortage gap in these regions means that they have created many PR pathways by studying, living and working in regional Australia.

Cook, Pastry Cook, Café or Restaurant Manager are listed on Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) and qualifies for 190 Skilled nominated Visa and 491 Skilled Regional Visa.  Chef is currently listed on the Medium- and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and qualify for VISA types 190, 189, 491 and 494. 

Some of the institutions where you can study Commercial Cookery in Australia

Skyline International College

Sydney City College of Management

Australian Technical College Western Australia

Southern Academy of Business and Technology